Sunday, December 29, 2013

Phase 1: Base Building

Phase 1: Base Building

This is a phase that is common to most training plans, and I generally agree that is is one of the most important phases to prepare for a season and, more importantly, decrease the chances of injury.  The base building phase is going to be different depending on the runner.  For example, for the high school, college or post-collegiate runner who is coming off a short break from training (1-2 weeks) the base-building phase takes on much less importance.  However, for a runner who is coming off an injury or an extended amount of time off this phase is much more important.  This phase can be altered in length to suit your needs.  Some athletes only spend a few weeks in this phase, while others will spend 2-3 months in order to build back to a level of fitness that will allow them to begin to complete workouts in the second phase.  My best piece of advice is to listen to your body.  If you are at a point where you are approaching peak mileage and your long runs are comfortable, then you are approaching the latter stages of Phase 1 and are ready to start thinking about moving on.  However if your runs are a struggle and your long runs are not where you would like, you may want to back off a bit and spend a few more weeks at this phase.  I normally advise at least 1 day off a week, but for those who don't believe in days off make 1-2 days VERY easy (about half your normal run).  With my high school runners I generally spend 6-7 weeks on this phase (beginning July 15 and taking them all the way to Labor Day during Cross Country season).  That is usually enough to get them built up close to peak mileage and prepare them for the hardest training that is to come, in Phase 2. 

I usually lay out my training around workouts and long runs, meaning I place these runs into my week and fill in the rest of the days with easy runs and their distances based on how I feel.  An example for me with a 40 mile week would be:
3 days of medium distance runs (5-7 miles)
1 day VERY easy or OFF (3 miles)
1 Long Run (8-10 miles)
1 Fartlek: Pickups would be in the 2-4 minute range.  An example: 4:00, 3:00, 2:00, 1:00 with 1/2 the time for recovery.
1 Hill workout (hill should be about 300 meters long and not too steep), with total running during the hill workout to equal about 20 minutes.  Warmup and cooldown should fill the rest of the time.

Note that the workout days should be based entirely on feel, not on pace.  I would normally throw in the workouts on Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday, the Long Run Sunday and the rest of the runs filling in the other days.  I don't like to put specific runs into specific days in this phase, as I don't mind taking an extra day to rest between workouts if I feel it is necessary.  Also, if you have to drop one run from the week because you are feeling worn down, drop one of the workouts first and only do 1 that week.  In this phase, the workouts are less important than just running.

Also, I used the 40 mile week example but you can alter this based on your own mileage.  If you want to do 20 miles per week, cut all my runs in half.  If you want to do 60, add 1/2 to the runs.

I can't stress enough that this phase should be based ENTIRELY on how you feel.  If you feel worn down, take it easy.  If you feel good, just keep up with the plan.  Don't add too much mileage but don't be afraid to increase mileage by 10% each week.

NEXT - Phase 2: Race Specific Training

No comments:

Post a Comment