Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Bad Workouts and Sleep Deprivation

So early on in my training for my 1/2 marathon I realize the error in one of my training ideas.  I've found trying to run goal pace just isn't working for me.  Today I was able to cover 1.75 miles at goal pace but was about shot afterward and really struggled the last 600 meters or so.  I've found that running goal race pace, even for this short distance, requires race effort, which shouldn't be expended on a weekly basis.

Then I looked at my Canova training methods again and realized that he said to do hard runs at about 95% effort.  I did some math, and 5:25 pace is about 11.1 mph, and 95% of that is 10.54 mph, or about 5:43 pace.  So it seems I should be doing these runs at 5:40-45 pace.  I imagine that pace will feel much more comfortable next time out, because today I about died.

It probably also didn't help that I only slept for about 90 minutes last night.  Today was the first day back to teaching after Winter Break and 2 additional days off for severely cold weather.  My mind was just racing all night last night, and I could never get to sleep.  Last time I looked at a clock it was around 4AM, and after that I tossed around in bed for awhile, then went out to the couch, where I tossed around there for awhile before finally falling asleep for a bit.  My alarm goes off at 6:20.  I felt fine most of the day but around 3PM I started to crash hard.  I'm sure that didn't help my workout at all. 

Time for a few easy days Thursday and Saturday, and maybe a short speed workout Friday, and a long run Sunday.  Then it's time to rethink this whole training plan.  I have 3 1/2 months...

No comments:

Post a Comment