Wednesday, January 1, 2014

100/100

I've never been much for New Year's resolutions.  If I have a goal, I strive for it.  If I want to better myself, I either do it or I don't.  It doesn't matter to me what time of year it is.  The first two weeks of January need to be renamed "Resolution Weeks."  This is because after that, most resolutions have gone the way of the dodo.  Running paths start to clear out again, gyms empty out, and nutritious food sales begin to plummet again. 

With that being said, I made something of a New Year's resolution this year.  100/100 is an idea thought up by one of my mentors, Kris Horton, who is the head women's distance coach at Bellarmine University and one of the brightest coaches I've ever met.  He's a former coach of mine, former co-worker at Bellarmine, and a good friend.

100/100 is simple: do 100 pushups and 100 situps a day for 100 days straight.  They don't have to be at the same time, as long as they are completed each day at some point.  This doesn't seem that difficult until  you realize how easy it is to forget to do this one day.  Kris began this not long after he was out of college, and he and his roommate held each other accountable.  When he was my coach he got me started on 100/100, and I in turn carried it over to the runners I coached.  I've never made this mandatory (though I plan to this track season).  Instead it is a great way to hold a group of runners (or even just yourself) accountable for doing a little extra every day to make yourself better.  While the benefits of situps and crunches is constantly in question, I guarantee that you will see some benefit from doing this. 

My best streak of 100/100 stands somewhere near 400 days (I know it was over 1 year but lost count after that).  Normally I print out a chart numbered 1-100 and X out a day each consecutive day I complete my 100/100.  I plan to do the same this go around.  While this shouldn't be the only extra work you do (core and light lifting regularly are great ways to improve running and overall health) it is a great start.  I just completed day 1 of 100/100, and fully intend to keep this streak alive well past 100 days.  Good luck to all, and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment